My first home purchase was quite the roller coaster of events and emotions. Offers in, waiting, offers rejected, inspections in, counter offers in, counter offers rejected. What I had always envisioned as one of the most exciting chapter of my life had become a nightmare. Then finally one day I was allowed to become overwhelmed with joy as I signed (many) dotted lines to officially purchase my first (and what I thought would be my last) house!
She’s tiny—and old, but she’s mine!
This was already four years ago, and almost immediately I decided to start making changes to a home that I thought was perfect.
First thing to go was the nasty doggy saturated carpet in the loft.
Please disregard the cruddy photography–I think I still had a flip phone at this point in my life!
Buying a 120+ year old house means that every time I decide to make a change, I find something lurking underneath!
In this case it was wood floors with holes covered by old coffee can sheets, plus carpet that was screwed into the floor by the banister. And the banister itself was screwed into the wall—IN THE WALL–about 3 inches into it causing me to cut a hole to get it out! And since it’s an OLD house all the lovely plaster surrounding it came out with it too.
But alas—I was not defeated! I decided to go with laminate because A) it was CHEAP and I could easily install myself and B) if I ever decided to refinish the original floors this would be much easier to pull up.
I think for my first time and doing them by myself–I did quite well. The banister unfortunately got the better of me and I might have killed it. So now I needed to figure out what I was going to do in order to keep kids and dogs from falling off the edge down the stairs. We also had a real storage problem, as in there is none! Nothing in that little bathroom, nothing in either bedrooms (no such thing as closets in the 1890’s!) so whatever the solution, it needed to solve both issues. Insert cubicles…or cubby shelves—or whatever you call them. I wrapped them all around the loft opening and not only did they prevent things from going over but I was able to use it for storage.
At this point in my DIY education I still had not learned to capture every step with a photo, so this shot of my son in front of the cubbies displaying his lava lamps science project will have to suffice.
Sadly—almost 3 years later and I still am not done with it. I have beadboard in the garage to put on the back of it to prevent persons (children who shall not be named) from pushing items THROUGH the cubbies and down the stairs. I also want to add moulding of some sort around the bottom of them and possibly something at the top.
As with most homes—especially those over a century old—it will continue to be a work in progress!